Press Release- Protest at Place Luxembourg with the attending members of the European Parliament
We would like to express our sincere thanks and appreciation to MEPS attended to the silent protest organized at Place Luxembourg (04.06.2013) and shared their views,
• MEP Mr. Michael Cashman (S&D)
• MEP Mrs. Isabelle Durant (Greens/EFA- Vice-President of European Parliament)
• MEP Mrs. Helene Flautre (Greens/EFA- Chair of Delegation to the EU-Turkey Joint Parliamentary Committee) – Mr. Ali Yurttagul (Advisor at Green/EFA) spoke on behalf of her.
• MEP Mr. Takis Hadjigeorgiou (Vice-Char of GUE/NGL)
• MEP Mr. Richard Howitt (S&D)
• MEP Mrs. Maria Eleni Koppa (S&D- Vice-Chair of Delegation to the EU-Turkey Joint Parliamentary Committee)
• MEP Mrs. Eija-Riitta Korhola (EPP)
not only for attending but also for showing their solidarity with people of Turkey. They all condemn excessive police use of force against peaceful protestors in Turkey and invited authorities to comply with the principles of fundamental rights and freedoms.
We are also informed that there will be a special discussion on Turkey in the EU Parliament this week. The European Parliament is expected to put the events in Turkey on the agenda for next week’s plenary meeting in Strasbourg.
Around 800 people attended the Silent Protest at Place Luxembourg in Brussels in front of the European Parliament. The Protest was organized in different cities across Europe at the same time – Brussels, Geneva, Oslo, Hamburg, Madrid and Rotterdam via #OccupyGezi social media platform.
As People supporting the resistance in Turkey we will continue our solidarity with the peaceful protests until our rights as citizens are met. We call on the authorities to immediately end police violence against peaceful protestors and call for them to ensure the right to freedom of expression and assembly. We urge them to initiate a prompt, independent and impartial investigation into the excessive use of force and bring to justice law enforcement officials found to have ill-treated demonstrators or other members of the public.
Supporters in Brussels for the resistance in Turkey – #OccupyGeziBrussels